Bangkok Art Biennale 2020 will be held from 29th October 2020 to 31st January 2021. Previously, on 15th June 2020, we conducted an interview with Dr. Apinan Poshyananda, Chief Executive Officer and Art Director of Bangkok Art Biennale, regarding the presentation of 40 additional artists and the theme of this occasion, 'Escape Route'. The event was streamed live on BAB's Facebook page.
A video introducing Bangkok Art Biennale 2020, curated under the theme of 'Escape Route' was shown. An overview of the biennale, the words of Dr. Apinan Poshyananda, and 56 participating artists from 34 countries were presented on the screen. Yoko Ono also decided to participate.
“The COVID-19 pandemic which caused chaos all over the world is a component of the desire to escape.
Migration, unemployment, racism, and a variety of other forms of discrimination, terrorism, pollution, and climate change are urgent issues that urge humans to escape from despair, which elicit the instinct that humans react under oppression and threat.
In November 2019, we announced an 'escape route' based on the assumption of 'old normal'. It is a theme that challenges problems arising from current difficulties. Art depends on digital and social media because many international art events and biennales are being postponed or cancelled.
The current challenge is how to express artwork physically as well as online. The escape from despair and misfortune is our common goal, but the way and means can be different. Experiencing art in a new era of the pandemic and protesting is empathy in the form of liberation and hope.
We are fighting to stay resilient during these uncertain times and to keep industry showing us jobs. The world of biennales was bustling in the past, however, it is now in a tight situation, so we will be presenting a different context”.
Dr. Apinan Poshyananda and artists talked under the lead of author and film critic, Kong Rithdee.
• Asst. Prof. Wutigorn Kongka, Assistant Professor, King's Mongkut Institute of Technology Ladkrabang, Faculty of Architecture, Fine Art Department
• Ong Puay Khim, Head & Curator, Biennale and Residencies, Singapore Art Museum
• Sun Wenjie, Head of Exhibitions, Red Brick Art Museum
• Dow Wasiksiri, President, the Royal Photographic Society of Thailand
International advisory committee:
• Marina Abramović, Performance Artist and President of Marina Abramović Institute (MAI)
• Fumio Nanjo, former director of the Mori Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan
• Alexandra Munroe, Senior Curator at Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Foundation, New York, USA
• David Stuart Elliott, Vice-Director and Senior Curator at RMCA, Guangzhou, China
• Wang Chen, Vice President of China Arts and Entertainment Group
Irwan Ahmett and Tita Salina
Choy Ka Fai
Frank Hallam Day
Dinh Q. Lê
Maria Stamenkovič Herranz
Ho Rui An
Reena Saini Kallat
Ga Ram Kim
1. BAB Box
2. Bangkok Art and Culture Centre
3. The Para
4. The Prelude
5. Lhong 1919
6. Museum Siam
7. Wat Pho Temple
8. Wat Arun Temple
9. Wat Prayoon Temple